Motherhood is an adventure with no roadmap, instruction manual, or sherpa to help carry the load.

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Dinner

We're spending Christmas with Nana and Granddad, who unfortunately is in a rehabilitation hospital after a serious infection this all.  He's not allowed out for the holiday, so we brought Christmas dinner to him and ate in a conference room in the facility.  Not the best Christmas ever, but certainly better than not seeing him at all!

Robert was pretty cranky after the travel, strange environment, and only two short 30 minute naps that day.  I brought a bottle and prepared myself to have one unhappy munchkin on my hands, though I tried to keep him as happy as possible my carrying him in our Ergo baby carrier while we sat down to eat and visit.  I didn't count on him watching me eat mashed potatoes, dressing, asparagus, and salmon with a ravenous, desperate look on his face.  Finally, in a weak moment, a put a little mashed potato on my fork and gave him a taste.

You would have thought I gave him baby crack.  He started craning around, desperate to get to my plate and get more.  Finally, I let him out and gave him to dad, who started giving him huge spoonfuls of mashed potatoes and salmon.  At six and a half months.  Did I mention these potatoes were loaded with butter and milk?  There was nothing to do at this point other than enjoy his absolute glee in eating these flavorful foods and hope for the best.  After about ten minutes, he slowed down and I was able to get him to take the bottle to at least have some fluid with this gargantuan, rich meal.

I wish I had pictures, or even better - a video, to show his excitement.  Unfortunately, he didn't poop for  two and half days after this feast, so we won't be repeating immediately.  I think the fatty fish and excess of dairy are a bit too much for him right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment