Motherhood is an adventure with no roadmap, instruction manual, or sherpa to help carry the load.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Deconstructed Omelet

Last night we had breakfast for dinner.  Jon is out of town, so there's no need to get fancy.  I had a tasty omelet stuffed with braising greens with sweet potato hash.  Robert had his own version of a deconstructed omelet -egg yolk and pureed greens.  His side was mashed sweet potato.

Sadly, when I introduced egg a week ago, I had to look up how to boil an egg.  As it turns out, its pretty easy - just put water in a pot, put your egg(s) in it, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Plunge in cold water when it is done.  I've heard that yolks are ok starting at 7 months, but we're introducing some items early, this one included.  Robert absolutely loves the mashed yolk.  I've even used it to sneak in some other foods that he's not excited about.  Once he's used to the yolk + new mystery food, then I'll switch it up on him and just give him the new food.  So far, so good.

The braising greens were from our Farmhouse Delivery bushel, but it was pretty heavy with broccolini, which I know he loves.  The taste was quite bitter, but I mixed just a little breast milk with it, and he gobbled it up.

And what could be easier than mashed sweet potato?  I confess, I stuck this potato in the microwave and didn't even steam it.  When it was done, I portioned out 2 oz bits and mixed in a small amount of breast milk to soften it more.  It was also therapeutic to mash everything together with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment