Motherhood is an adventure with no roadmap, instruction manual, or sherpa to help carry the load.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

For the Love of Carrots

Robert has a serious love affair with carrots.  He's liked them since the first puree, and I'm in full support of his carrot habit.  However, after making plain carrot puree several times, I felt it was time to mix it up a bit and add a new flavor - enter nutmeg.  He's been a champ with other spices, like cinnamon and even a small amount of pepper on the unexpected Christmas salmon.

As I grated the nutmeg into the carrot puree, I had a fleeting "Chicken of the Sea" moment when I wondered if I was exposing him to a nut akin to peanuts and he was about to go into anaphylactic shock.  I brushed it off and later reassured myself with a quick google search of "what age can babies have nutmeg?"  This reassured me that I had not just doomed myself with the spice.

After steaming and pureeing the carrot, I used a microplane to sprinkle a small amount of freshly grated nutmeg into my bowl.  I mixed it will, and the aroma of fresh nutmeg and sweet carrots was delicious.  Robert agreed!

No comments:

Post a Comment