Motherhood is an adventure with no roadmap, instruction manual, or sherpa to help carry the load.

Friday, January 3, 2014

Gritty Broccoli

I am apathetic about broccoli.  There's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't do much taste-wise for me.  I recognize that it is nutritionally beneficial and therefore eat it on occasion.  Maybe I just don't know really good ways to prepare it for myself, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!  For Robert, I'm not too concerned about flavor combinations and seasoning at this point, so plain-ish broccoli is just fine for him.  However, the first time I steamed and pureed straight broccoli florets, I was taken back by the gritty texture of the mix.  I didn't like the texture in my mouth, and I'm sure that came through for him.  He ate it, but like his mom, wasn't excited.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I'm ready to try again.  This time, I took a couple more steps to get a better texture, and it really worked.

Steamed Broccoli

  • Broccoli florets steamed in water for about 15 minutes
  • Blend
  • Mush through a strainer
  • Blend and add cooking water to get a desired consistency
A much better mush!

No comments:

Post a Comment