Motherhood is an adventure with no roadmap, instruction manual, or sherpa to help carry the load.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Adventurous Food

We were doomed for a meltdown around lunch time today after Robert only took a short 30 minute nap this morning.  At noon, I strapped my fussy-but-not-quite-screaming baby into his high chair with a bowl of our carrot and celery root puree, said a silent prayer that he would actually eat something, and whipped out the baby spoon.  Mercifully, he opened his mouth and started to eat.

I had a tray of grocery store sushi for myself.  Nothing fancy, just a rainbow roll with a generous portion of wasabi and pickled ginger on the side.  I love the pickled ginger, especially soaking on piece in the soy sauce and having that tangy, salty bite near the end of my meal.  I alternated feeding Robert a bite of his orange mush and using chopsticks to feed myself a slice of sushi or a slice of ginger.  Robert thought this looked pretty cool, and was staring intently at the chopsticks.  
Without thinking, I took a piece of ginger in my chopsticks and held it out for him to try to grasp.  I didn't really think he'd get anywhere with it as the ginger can be slippery and his motor skills, especially pinching things, are lacking.  Somehow, he got that piece of ginger from my chopsticks and into his mouth.  He started sucking and exploring it.  I briefly thought it might be a choking hazard and tried to retrieve it, but came back with only a small sliver.  He swallowed the rest of the ginger and started looking at my plate for more.  A second slice quickly disappeared.

Yep, this is truly my kid.  We both love that ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment